A: Our KION Question came from Charles in Marina. He asked us, "What's the status of the Marina smokeshop that was suposed to open at the old Ace Hardware building?"
Central Coast News learned a Conditional Use Permit for the Puff N' Stuff Smoke Shop was approved by the Planning Commission on Thursday September 22nd for an alternate location at 352 Reservation Road in the El Rancho Shopping Center.
Theresa Szymanis, the Planning Services Manager said, "There were some issues associated with the first site the applicants looked at, including parking that backs into the busy Del Monte Boulevard right-of-way."
Under the Conditional Use Permit, the Marina Planning Department has established the following guidelines:
- That the hours of operation of the retail portion of the business shall be between 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. seven days a week.
- That the sale of drug paraphernalia' as defined with Section 11364.5 of the California Health and Safety Code shall be prohibited.
- The sale of knives (butterfly and switchblades), brass knuckles and other similar weaponry shall be prohibited.
- That the sale of any herbal tobacco, tincture or other product or any substance or material containing Salvia divinorum or Salvinorin A shall be prohibited. To address concerns regarding use of the herb, a Condition of Approval has been added that will prohibit the sale of any herbal tobacco, tincture or other product or any substance or material containing Salvia divinorum or Salvinorin A, and no product or substance shall be offered for sale or sold that mimics or is advertised as mimicking the physical effects of THC or any other illicit or legal drug or substance.
- The applicant shall provide and install an alarm system and closed circuit cameras for 24 hour video surveillance within the shop.
- The applicant shall seek review by, and consider the recommendations of the Marina Police Department Crime Prevention through Environmental Design (CPTED) Unit during design of the shop interior.