LIVE OAK, Calif. -

A 15-year-old Livermore boy was seriously injured after he lit the fuse of a firework he'd found at Corcoran Beach.

Santa Cruz County Sheriff's deputies said the boy was visiting the area along with an 11-year-old and a 13-year-old. The three boys were at Corcoran Beach Saturday when one of them found what the described as a gold egg-shaped device made of cardboard with a small fuse.

The 15-year-old lit the fuse of the firework upon returning to a relative's home in Live Oak. It exploded, causing shrapnel injuries to his torso and the potential loss of his hand.

Paramedics and deputies responded to treat the boy at the scene, but he was later flown to Stanford Hospital for evaluation.

Deputies say there's no evidence the device was left at the beach with the intent to harm someone. No other such devices were found in the vicinity. 

If any firework or suspicious object is located, the device shouldn't be touched or disturbed and deputies urge people to call 911 to report it.