Santa Cruz Police say they've arrested six people on prostitution-related charges in the past week.
Most of the arrests have occurred on Ocean Street, on both the upper and lower ends, Deputy Chief Steve Clark said.
The arrests are part of ongoing efforts to suppress prostitution activity in the city.
"It's been a big problem in terms of how it affects the neighborhood," said Clark, who says that prostitution activity is also associated with other crime. "We're working to impact the quality of life issues when it comes to this kind of crime."
The following people were arrested between July 29 and Aug. 2:
- Christina Reagan, 49, of Santa Cruz, arrested on July 29 on suspicion of soliciting an act of prostitution years and for warrants out of Santa Clara County
- Jose Anguiano Alfonso, 38, of Santa Cruz, arrested on July 29 on suspicion of soliciting an act of prostitution
- Coleen Clark Chavez, 49, of Chico, arrested on July 29 on suspicion of soliciting an act of prostitution
- Jasmine Price, 19, of Soquel, arrested on July 29 on suspicion of prostitution
- Marie McDonald, 28, of Santa Cruz, arrested on Saturday on suspicion of soliciting an act of prostitution and violating her probation. Clark says she's been arrested by Santa Cruz Police 12 times in the past year for various drug and prostitution-related arrests
- Jose Valencia-Hernandez, 34, of Santa Cruz, arrested Saturday on suspicion of trying to obtain an act of prostitution