The Santa Cruz Fire Department responded to a residential Victorian fire on Center Street on Monday. Smoke was pouring from a first-floor window.
The building was a two-story Victorian with multiple apartments inside. The residents told fire crews that the fire was on the first floor, and no one was home, but that a dog may be inside.
Crews entered the first floor with water hoses and found the apartment completely filled with smoke and fire extending up the living room walls.
Crews extinguished the fire and opened the walls and ceiling to check for hidden hot spots. Additional crews were sent in to search the first and second floors for victims.
A dog was found hiding in a bathroom, and was reunited with its owners.
Victorian-style homes typically have no fire stops in the walls, which enables fire to spread rapidly through the walls into the attic.
No firefighters or occupants were injured. However, the residents were not able to re-enter the apartments.
The fire appears to have been started by objects that had fallen off a cabinet onto a wall heater. Those items and a nearby bookshelf caught fire.