The Scotts Valley Police Department will be ramping up enforcement of traffic violations in and around local school zones this week.
Operation Safe Passage, which will be conducted from Wednesday, Aug. 27 to Sept. 5, is aimed at ensuring students' safety when they're traveling to and from school.
Officers will focus on the following violations by both motorists as well as commuting students.
- Failing to stop for school buses with flashing stop lights
- Speeding vehicles
- Failing to yield to pedestrians
- Juvenile bicyclists without required helmets or not properly worn
- Seat belt and child restraint seat violations
- Cellphone and texting violations
- Stop sign violations
“At the beginning of each school year there are new kids walking and biking to school for the first time,” said Lt. Steve Walpole. "The extra officers assigned to each school will be a reminder to the students, and the motorists in the area, to follow the rules of the road and keep everyone safe during their travels.”